Building arm muscles can be done in two ways. You can hit the gym and consult with a trainer or you can sit at home and do home-based exercises. In this article, we’re going to cover both aspects and give you a generalized arm building tips and tricks.
Keeping that in mind, let’s us get into the tutorial
Complete Tutorial to build arm muscle
Plan the workout
A good result requires a good plan. The first thing you need to do is plan the time and the exercises that you’ll do in that time. There is an art to plan the workout. We know weight lifting is important to build any muscle and so is the case with arm muscle. Your plan should be of the following way;
- Lift every day. Don’t slack up. Your routine should be well defined. You can do the heavy lifting for 5 days and light lifting for 2 days. In those 2 days, you can rest your muscles.
- Don’t plan the same muscle group on the same day. Arm muscles have many different sectors so, you need to be careful. Don’t exercise one muscle group heavily and ignore the rest of it. If you work your triceps today, work your biceps tomorrow. This is mainly because of the fact that you need time to repair the muscles. For instance, Work on biceps for two days, rest the biceps for the next two days and during that time, work your triceps.
- Never focus on your arms only. Work out other areas of the body as well. Working out the leg will help you. Imagine a body with heavy arms and slim legs. Exactly! it will look really awkward.
The workout can be divided into these parts: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulder, and Chest. Let us see all of them in brief
A broad shoulder looks pretty impressive. The shoulder muscles are called ‘deltoids’ which are used when you want to throw and lift. The deltoids can be worked with the following exercises:
- Lateral Dumbell presses are another exercises, perform this by raising the arm in an arc and slowly lower the arms back down.
- Military press, which can be performed in a sitting or standing position. Just bring a weighted barbell up to the chest using an overhand grip and raise the barbell up over the head, lower the bar to your chin and repeat the exercise.
- Overhead lifts are actually full body exercises but it kind of has shoulders as the central focus. For this, you need to perform a deadlift to waist level and then lift the weight up for a military press. Finally, lift it over your head.
Biceps are the most important muscle in the arm. A lot of people work on the biceps because it gives that energy to the arm. There are a lot of exercises that will help to grow your biceps. These exercises are:
- Hammer curls, which can be performed by holding the dumbbells in a way that your palms are facing each other with an underhand grip. The motion of the curl should seem like a hammer.
- Dumbell Curls are quite obvious, you should carefully raise the dumbell to your chest and then lower it.
The lower part of the arm is the tricep, it is opposite to the biceps so it needs the opposite motion as well. The exercises for triceps are:
- Dips, which can be performed on two parallel bars. Put your arms in these bars and lift yourself up and down with fluid motions. Do this for a number of times.
- Another exercise for triceps is known as Triceps Extension. Keep yourself in a standing position and hold a dumbbell in both hands, keep the hands behind your head and lift the dumbbell up and down. Repeat this for 2-3 sets with 8, 10, 12 reps in each set.
As chest has one of the four pectoral muscles and these muscles are what makes your shoulders and arms, working out the chest can help with the arms as well. The following set of exercises work for the chest:
- Benchpress, lift a barbell up from the chest, extend your arms and lower the weight. Repeat. Do the exercise carefully though. Don’t get injured.
- Pushups, which can really help you get the strength flowing through your main chest muscle and in turn help your
- Dips, which we have explained earlier, the idea is quite the same.
Tips to build arm muscles
- Rest. Take two days off or do some light exercises in those two days. Also, have a good 8 hours of sleep.
- Drink a lot of water and keep your body hydrated. Water helps with protein synthesis.
- Protein is a must. Indulge in the food product that contains a lot of protein.
- Don’t neglect your leg muscles and other muscle groups. A complete body workout is always good.
Working out your arms will definitely boost your confidence and strength. But you need to stick to a training regiment for it and have patience. It will definitely not be easy but the end results are there. The results should keep you motivated.